How to get rid of fake tan stains on clothes

09:07:00

Hi everyone!

I hope you had a good weekend! Here in London it was either on-off raining or just plain raining, which sucks when it's your birthday weekend! Other than that, I had fun though, partying on Friday and then shopping and vintage hunting with Nick!

Since the summer doesn't really wanna make an appearance, what else than fake tan to trick our subconscious into thinking it's summer? Well, I have been testing it for the last few weeks, making errors and overall not being happy of the process!

Last fake tan I applied (before today) was about three weeks ago and it was a total mess! I am still trying to take it off, but as emilynoel83 says, I am now prisoner of my tan, and worst of all it's patchy!

But this is a post about fake tan stains on clothes. I might do fake tan reviews later, but I am still learning the process and have only tried 2 different brands so far. So as I said, last time I tanned was three weeks ago and I have tried the tricks I'm going to show you now. But because I was in a rush, I didn't have time to take pictures the first time around. But this weekend, I noticed a stain on my "I love vodka" t-shirt, which I haven't worn during the fake tan (just to let you know how bad of a disaster it was, I have never worn this t-shirt yet!). So I have tried the tricks on fresh and old stains! (But do it as quickly as you can, maybe mine was pure luck!)

Here we go! Here is the bad boy before (this one is not that big, but the first time around it was all over my t-shirt!):

What you will need:

  • Dishwashing liquid
  • Bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
  • Hydrogen Peroxyde (ideally 3%)
  • a cloth
Start by dampening your garment

Then pour a little dishwashing liquid to the stain.

Work the dishwashing liquid into the fabric by tapping it with the cloth. Don't rub!

Add caption
If the stain is not going away, try the same thing, with bicarbonate of soda. I did this with a white shirt here, but also a yellow one, and it was fine. (But I would suggest to try it on a hidden part first.)

For both time, I was ok doing only those steps. But if it's still not working, you can try Hydrogen Peroxyde. Always test it first on an area that is not visible, so you can see how the fabric and dye react to the product. In Canada (and probably the USA), you can buy it in any drugstore, or even dollar stores. In the UK, you have to ask your pharmacist, and they might be reticent to sell it to you. Apparently it is used to make homemade bombs! Anyway I went to Boots and I got a bottle, no fuss!

When it is gone, you can wash your clothes in the normal laundry. Be sure any stain is gone before doing so, as it may spread to other clothes otherwise!

And here is a (almost!) brand new t-shirt!

Also, this morning I re-applied fake tan and used this trick I got from Adrienne. If your hands are stained (which they were because I forgot to buy gloves, d'uh!), rub them with toothpaste! I don't remember if she was talking about whitening toothpaste on her tweet, but that's what I used this morning and it worked!

What about your fake tan tips and tricks? Please let me know as it is a learn in progress for me! Also let me know if you try this, how this worked for you!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Wow! Definitely remembering this when I next manage to get fake tan all over my clothes! Very helpful xx

    ReplyDelete

I always like to get your comments and start a conversation :)

About Me

A young 30 something who likes makeup, décor and travels.

Like MsBubu on Facebook